Saturday, December 5, 2009

Advent Calendar Dec 5th - Outdoor Decorations

As a child, my family never put up outdoor decorations of any kind. I think perhaps after I was in junior high my mother brought home a set of blinking or moving lights to wrap around the small tree by our apartment's front door.

It wasn't until I was married that outdoor decorations became a routine. After we purchased our first home, we decided to wrap some lights and garland around the white front porch railing. From there it escalated into white lights on the shrubs, and then on the roofline. It got even more elaborate after we made friends with the neighbors down the street who must have been the favorite customer at the power company! My husband would help that husband and vice versa.

After we had children, our time was more restricted and we now only decorate our front pillars with some garland and lights as well as with some white snowflakes along the two front flower beds. I also have this wooden "lightpost" that is lit with white lights and garland that always sits by the front door. This year my daughter could hardly wait to decorate so she thought if she helped Dad, he might be more motivated to do it. I bundled her up and sent her out. According to my husband she was a good helper for a while but then lost interest. However, she can now appreciate the work involved. This was proven last week after we were driving past a heavily decorated home. From the backseat, I heard the typical "ooohs" and "aaahs" followed by "Wow, that must have been a lot of hard work!"

No comments:

Post a Comment