Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Woodland Cemetery, Ashland, Virginia

Back in early March, I wrote a post on my 3rd great-grandparents, William M. Woody and Marginia M. Thomas.  I was thrilled to receive a comment from Rick Walton, a Historian for the 6th North Carolina Troops, which included the infantry unit that William served in during the Civil War.  At the end of my post, I stated that I did not know where the men from the 6th were buried that had died at the hospital at Ashland, Virginia.  Rick was kind enough to provide that information and so much more.

Grave 198 at Woodland Cemetery in Ashland, Virginia is the final resting place of William.  The graves are unmarked but the roster of those buried at the cemetery lists some familiar names to Mitchell and Yancey county researchers, including my ancestor Archibald McNeill's brother, Daniel, in Grave 194.  It should be noted that the soldiers buried in this cemetery are not just from North Carolina, but also include troops from Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi and a handful from Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Maryland, and Tennessee.  There are 8 for whom the state is unknown.

Additional information on the 6th North Carolina Troops can be found at their website:  http://www.6ncst.org/.

Many thanks to Rick for sharing this information with me.

1 comment:

  1. It has occured to me lately, that the German families are finding their lost family members in America just as we search for our members in Germay. I am thankful that each village more or less has their own postings of those killed in the wars. Only franco pruessian war, could be covered better. So we should defiantely have the sources of the fallen soldiers of this available for anyone looking for the relatives. I found this very helpful. thanks for great post. jo

    ReplyDelete