Monday, July 11, 2011

Children of Walter and Fanny (Arnold) Harmon

As I mentioned in my previous post, my great-great-grandparents, Walter and Fanny (Arnold) Harmon, had five children.  In this post, I will present a bit more information about the children.  Please contact me if you have further information.  I would LOVE to share.

1.  Edward Joseph Harmon, my great-grandfather.  I wrote about him in this post.

2.  Edna Barbara Harmon: born 16 Feb 1885 in Dakota Territory in what became Clark County, South Dakota.  Edna married a second cousin, Willis Fellows Heath, in Clark 15 July 1901.  According to the 1910 U.S. Federal census, they were in Jefferson Co, Colorado and had 2 living children (Maud and Emmett) and one child deceased.  Willis registered for the WWI draft in Kansas City, Missouri and they were residents of that city in the 1920 U.S. Federal census.  By 1930, they were apparently living apart.  I have found Barbara living with their son Emmett.  She lists herself as head of household and married.  I have not been able to find Willis in 1930.  Willis died 11 October 1944 in Kansas City of stomach cancer.  The death certificate indicates he was buried in Lawrence, Kansas and his last residence was in Merriam, Kansas.  Edna married a second time to a Clarence W. Harrod.  She died 11 April 1951 in Kansas City as a result of bronchial pneumonia, abdominal peritonitis, and likely the ultimate culprit was metastasized liver cancer.

3.  Ida Elizabeth Harmon: born 13 July 1890 in Clark Co, South Dakota.  Ida married Walter W. Watson on the 30 October 1909.  They were living in Clark Co in 1910 for the U.S. Federal Census but by about 1914, they had moved to Alberta, Canada.  According to Fannie Arnold Harmon's obituary, Ida was living in Gadsby, Alberta Canada in 1945.  She died there 14 May 1954 and is buried in Stetler-Lakeview Cemetery.  Ida and Walter had at least four children:  Vivien about 1911, Vienna about 1912, a son Virge about 1913 and Victor in 1929.

4.  Fannie Mary Harmon:  born 12 March 1892 in Clark Co, South Dakota.  Fannie married Herbert E. Schaefer on the 6 June 1911 in Clark.  By 1920, Fannie and Herbert were living in Orleans, Winnesheik Co, Iowa, which is the area Herbert was from.  The couple had four children (birth dates are approximate):  Esther b. 1914, Arvine b. 1915, Viola b. 1917, and Laverne b. 1923. 

5.  Morris Walter Harmon:  born 25 April 1896 in Clark Co, South Dakota.  Morris married Jessie Mae (last name unknown) prior to 1920.  They had three children (birth dates are approximate):  Wilma Joyce (1920-1920), Ida born 1922, and Izetta born 1923.  Morris served as a Private in the Air Service in World War I.  Morris lived in Clark County his entire life and died there in 1962.  Jessie died in 1971.  The couple is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Clark County, South Dakota in the Harmon family plot with Morris' parents, Walter and Fannie, and Walter's father, Porter Harmon.  Their infant daughter, Wilma, is also in the family plot.

I would be thrilled to connect with any descendants of Edna, Ida, Fannie and Morris.  I do have a few pictures and more specific information on the oldest child, Edward, who is my great-grandfather.  I am happy to share my sources and further information.  Also, if there are any errors in the above information, please let me know so I can update this post and my database. 

©2009-2011, copyright tracysroots

No comments:

Post a Comment