Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ancestors' Geneameme

Jill from the Geniaus blog has created a new meme:  The Ancestors' Geneameme.  Here are my results.

The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item

Which of these apply to you?
  1. Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents
  2. Can name over 50 direct ancestors (I can name 108 at last count)
  3. Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents  (I have six, but have seen a portrait of the last two, but do not have a copy of it)
  4. Have an ancestor who was married more than three times (I wrote about Medina Sherer here)
  5. Have an ancestor who was a bigamist
  6. Met all four of my grandparents (only three, my grandpa Lee died before I was born)
  7. Met one or more of my great-grandparents (I saw my Hiby great-grandparents several times before they passed away)
  8. Named a child after an ancestor (my children's middle names only)
  9. Bear an ancestor's given name/s
  10. Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland (my most recent would be Fanny Arnold Harmon, my 2nd great-grandmother)
  11. Have an ancestor from Asia
  12. Have an ancestor from Continental Europe (yep, lots)
  13. Have an ancestor from Africa
  14. Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer (I think nearly all my ancestors were involved in agriculture)
  15. Have an ancestor who had large land holdings (not sure how large is large, but many had 160+ acres)
  16. Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi (Rev. Isaac Grindstaff, a Baptist preacher)
  17. Have an ancestor who was a midwife
  18. Have an ancestor who was an author
  19. Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones (sigh, yes, at least two different unrelated Jones lines)
  20. Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
  21. Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
  22. Have an ancestor with a forename beginnining with Z (Zerlinda, daughter of Medina mentioned in #4 above)
  23. Have an ancestor born on 25th December (nope but a set of great-great-grandparents got married on Christmas)
  24. Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day (4 relatives, but not a direct ancestor)
  25. Have blue blood in your family lines
  26. Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
  27. Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth (my most recent ancestor of foreign birth is Fanny Arnold born in Warwickshire, England in 1856)
  28. Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century
  29. Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier
  30. Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents
  31. Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X (While I'm sure I do, I'd be happy to just have a copy of a marriage certificate!)
  32. Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university (I was the first college graduate in my family, followed by my sister three years later)
  33. Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence (I've heard rumors of a bastardy bond filed against a couple of ancestors - sure would like to see the evidence of it.)
  34. Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime
  35. Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (several times here on my blog)
  36. Have published a family history online or in print (Details please)
  37. Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries
  38. Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family
  39. Have a family bible from the 19th Century (I do have copies of pages from an early 20th century bible that lists some 19th births/marriages.)
  40. Have a pre-19th century family bible
I have more on my list than I thought I would.  It makes me feel like I've accomplished something in the last dozen years or so.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tracy, for participating in the meme challenge.

    Congratulations on what you have achieved in the last dozen years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see accroding to Geneabloggers today is your third year anniversary you've been blogging about genealogy.

    Happy Blogiversary.

    Regards, Jim

    ReplyDelete